Sixty youth leaders who met in Goa for the CCI Youth for Change conference have asked the Church and society to include young people when formulating policies.
The Jan. 6-8 conference also stressed the need to restore people’s dignity and work among the poor more seriously, ucanews.com reports.
The conference drafted a “Goa Declaration” (See below) that promised “optimum participation of youth” to build peace and sustain development.
Speakers said the Church had failed to give young people due representation or allow their full participation in its affairs.
The participants resolved to strengthen youth organizations and build young communities to implement Second Vatican Council teachings. They also resolved to ensure that every child goes to school and become responsible citizens.
It also called for the study of new social networks and relationships to meet the challenges from commercial and consumer interests that target the youth.
Other plans include encouragement to inter-religious networking, collaboration between youth groups and Cardijn Community International as a common platform for coordination.
Various groups presented their reports highlighting their interventions in various social and environment issues.
SOURCE:Youths demand role in decision making (www.ucanews.com)
‘Youth 4 Change Conference’
India Today: The Youth, Church and Social Commitment
6th to 8th January 2011 Pilar, Goa
We the young people gathered here at Pilar, Goa, on the theme “INDIA TODAY: the Youth, Church & Social Commitment”, during the International Year of Youth make this unanimous affirmation:
Inspired by the living testimonies of actions and lives of people living the Review of Life See-Judge-Act, we commit to do the following:
1. Inter-religious component of networking
2. CCI will be a resource group for conducting training sessions, seminars, formation programmes and for information and guidance on specific issues/problems
3. COLLABORATION between different youth groups to be promoted
4. Coordination between existing youth organizations to be initiated
5. New networks and groups can function as CCI groups if they accept the methodology and vision of CCI. Already initiative of grouping youth from various areas and categories is being initiated in Jharkhand. This group will gradually become CCI group.
6. PROGRAMS LIKE THIS MUST BE ORGANIZED in different places and on a regular basis to review the follow up and to update
7. CONNECTION WITH CCI – CCI AS A COMMON PLATFORM FOR COORDINATION
8. SEE-JUDGE & ACT methodology to be adopted by in the groups and networks
9. HYDERABAD –– UTILIZE SOCIAL NETWORKING INITIALLY to revitalize YCS
10. INDIVIDUAL COMMITMENTS: